The landing page is your visit card as it convinces your potential customers whether they should continue accessing the other pages of your website or not. It can be found by your visitors on social media or search engines. Therefore, the landing page has a significant role convincing your visitors to perform a specific action like buying or ordering a product/service or subscribe to a newsletter and stay connected to your business. Of course, as a business owner, you want your landing page to be found on as many search engines as possible. So, it needs SEO optimisation to bring more traffic.
Why should you optimise your landing page?
Any business owner wants to get more customers and visitors on his page. Therefore, optimising your landing page and improving the conversion rate should be on top of your priorities. A study conducted by MarketingSherpa showed that the websites for professional and financial services have the highest conversion rate of 10%. Media and publishing share the same 10% conversion rate while Software and Saas have only 7%. An optimised landing page can increase the conversion rate to up to 20%.
Also, apart from bringing more customers to your website, landing page SEO optimisation is important for other reasons:
* You will clearly describe the purpose of your page. Thus, it will become easier for search engines to understand what you are selling and rank your page higher in the search results. What does it mean? A page that is ranked higher brings more traffic.
- Your target audience will find your landing page when they need a solution to their problem. Therefore, their experience will be improved, and your landing page will have more conversions.
- When you optimise your landing page, you also increase your Page Quality Rating. This will bring another significant benefit to your business, cheaper AdWords campaigns, which deliver more effective results.
It is essential to test your landing page periodically if you want to get the maximum ROI of your marketing campaign. 72% of the marketers who don’t take landing page testing seriously, fail to obtain a significant return on investment. If you allocate more money for landing page optimisation and testing, then all these efforts will show positive results in your P&L.
How to Optimize Your Landing Pages SEO?
I can already see what is going in your head when you hear about SEO: “oh no, again a lengthy article which is not going to give me a clear solution”, or “I’ve already tried everything, and it is tough to rank”. But, what if I told you that the tips below have already been tested on various landing pages and they had positive results. Take the example of a very popular translation services reviews website which optimised its landing page SEO, and in a couple of months the number of visitors doubled, and there was a 30% increase in newsletter subscribers. So, keep reading this article and learn how you can become top-ranked on search engines.
1. Decide which will be your keywords
If you want to obtain a better ROI, then you should pay attention to the keywords you are going to use on your landing page. Your page will have a better performance if you do your homework and research which are the keywords the others are targeting and what is their performance.
Before you start the research, you should decide which words best describe your landing page. Put each keyword on the search engine and analyse the results. Did you get any similar pages using your theme? If the answer is yes, then these keywords should be on your list. What is more, when you search for a keyword, the search engines will also suggest you even more words. Note them down too. Trust me, the search engines know what they are doing!
Now that you filled your list with all the possible keywords, you can use various keyword research tools to see how they are performing. You will receive even more suggestions when you feed the tools with your keywords. Note those down as well. Organize your list in descending order based on the number of searches each keyword got.
Once the ranking is over, choose only one word that best describes your page’s purpose and has some of the most significant numbers of searches also. This is going to be your primary keyword around which you will create your optimisation strategy. The next step is to choose 5 more keywords from the list you created and consider them as your secondary keywords.
2. Go for an awesome title tag
The title tag is your weapon to make a first good impression. Even though the search engines are able to detect your topic without using keywords in your title tag, this doesn’t mean that it is not essential. On the contrary, the title tag will help you consolidate your position on the market. How should an awesome title tag look like?
- Use maximum 60 characters. If you have more to say in your title tag, you can use characters like “&” or “/” to save a bit. What is more, even though you want to draw attention on your title tag, this doesn’t mean that you should use CAPS LOCK.
- Use one or two keywords and place them in the first part of your title tag.
- If your brand is popular, you can use its name in the title tag too.
3. A meta description is your sign board
The meta description appears right below your website’s title and URL, drawing attention over your landing page. Even though the search engines may display other parts of your landing page’s text, a well-written meta description has many chances to appear as a search result. Below there are some simple rules you should keep in mind when you build your meta description:
- It should be straightforward, stating your page’s subject.
- It should be around 150 characters.
- It should include your keyword and end with a call to action statement.
- Don’t duplicate your descriptions.
4. Use headlines
When a reader enters on your landing page, the first thing he will read is your initial statement. Therefore, the text headlines play a crucial role in convincing your visitors to order your products or services. If you want your primary message to have an impact on your page’s visitors, then you should use an H1 headline. What is more, the content of your headline should make your reader “thirsty” and curious to find more. So, you should include your main keyword here and use the best of your creativity to convince the reader to click on more.
5. Did we mention anything about content?
Before your landing page visitors get to test your products or services, they will first read what you have to say. The same will do the search engine robots which need words to rank your landing page. Therefore, you should focus on content and consider it one of your main priorities. What do you want to achieve when you create a landing page? To convince the visitor to take a specific action, right? So, before you start building the content, think first of this answer, and you will see how inspiration will come.
If you don’t know which rules to follow when you write the content for the landing page, then follow the tips below:
- Use keywords in the first 150 words. This is how your page will be found more comfortable by search engines. Your readers will also find much quicker the solution to their problem by identifying the main keyword.
- You can use synonyms and related terms from your main keyword. As long as you keep the same meaning behind the words you choose, you can use your imagination to vary the keywords as much as you want.
- Longer phrases are usually ranked higher. However, useful content is also the one which is easy to understand and very clear. Therefore, try to find a combination of these aspects, and you don’t have any options but to succeed.
6. The cherry on top – URL
If your landing page is the cake, then the URL is the cherry on top, making it look even more delicious. So, don’t forget to include your main keyword in the URL and thus increase the chances to be top ranked by search engines.
Optimizing your landing page SEO is the cheapest way to increase your organic traffic. Follow the rules above, and you will see how easy it is to make your landing page more visible than before. However, you should keep in mind that SEO rules are continually changing. Thus, you should keep an eye on the market’s trends and quickly adapt.