SEO Copywriting has become one of the most powerful tools for effective marketing. Both content creators and marketers have acknowledged the importance of high-quality SEO content. Studies have backed up this claim by showing that 61% of marketers claim that improving SEO and growing their organic presence is their top inbound marketing priority.
So, what’s the secret to creating powerful SEO content?
This task is not an easy one to accomplish, and there is a good reason why so many professionals have been trying to figure out that mystery. To master SEO copywriting, you need to truly understand the core of the process so that you can excel in this art form. For that purpose, let’s outline what SEO copywriting consists of before we get to the big secret.
What is SEO Copywriting?
It is essential that have a clear understanding of what SEO copywriting is before we look into optimization.
Copywriting is a creative process which demands unique, captivating, and informative content. There is much more to it than just plain storytelling. It has become one of the main parts of digital marketing since marketers, and business owners started using high-quality content to attract and keep their customers.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is also a central part of digital marketing considering that without effective SEO, the businesses won’t get any leads. The majority of web traffic arrives from major commercial search engines, Google, Bing, and Yahoo!
The reason why SEO is so important is that if search engines cannot find your site, or add your content to their databases, you will miss out on opportunities to drive traffic to your site.
Here’s a more in-depth perspective on SEO and its importance in the modern business ecosystem
SEO and copywriting go hand in hand, and you can’t really have one without the other.
What we mean by that is that without high-quality content, your SEO strategy won’t be effective and without SEO your content won’t have any purpose, no matter how good it is.
While many factors influence search engine rank, if you take a look at this periodic table provided by Search Engine Land, you’ll see that most of the elements on the left-hand side focus on the quality of the content.
The ultimate goal of SEO copywriting is to create content that grabs readers’ attention, provides valuable information, and drives incoming links.
Now that we have explained the gist of SEO copywriting, it’s time for the secret to come out.
The Secret to Mastering SEO Copywriting
Although there are many discussions about what the central element of effective SEO copywriting is, the principal ingredient which ties all of them together is intelligent keyword usage.
According to statistics, businesses with a strong keyword optimization rank 1.5 spots higher in search engine results.
Here are just some of the benefits of focusing on keyword optimization:
- Improving your website traffic
- Improving your conversion rate
- Measuring the potential traffic flow
- Understanding user behavior
- Writing effective content
- Helping people to find content relevant to their search engine queries
- Avoiding registering as “spam.”
- Keeping up to date with what’s popular to write about
If you want to master keyword optimization, you need to cover these three stages:
- Selection of the best keywords
For this process, content creators often use specialized software or online platforms such as Google’s Keyword Planner. You can use this tool to search for keywords and see how a list of keywords might perform. Keyword Planner can also help you choose competitive bids and budgets to use with your campaigns.
This tool is built from the ground-up with copywriting in mind which is another critical part of embedding keywords in the content.
Jodi Wright, a senior copy-editor at Trust My Paper, shares with us her thoughts on the subject, “No matter what is your digital marketing strategy, keywords form the fundamental basis that just can’t be ignored and disregarded. While it may be difficult at times, you need to do your keyword research and pay extra attention to keyword optimization. This will help you work out the rest of your strategies.”
What you should be extra careful about is how many keywords you are including. Relying on just one keyword won’t do the job. Even if it is a highly searched keyword, it still won’t attract enough visitors to your site.
You also shouldn’t target lots of keywords because the more keywords you use, the fewer resources you can assign to working on each of them.
It all depends on the content length, but for small businesses, it is best if you target about 5 keywords.
Even though keyword optimization is the most important ingredient, there are other elements which are tied to an effective SEO copywriting. Let’s take a look at what you should focus on, in addition to choosing and embedding the right keywords.
Other Aspects of SEO Copywriting
SEO copywriting is a complex process, and there are several elements that will work wonders when combined with the right keyword optimization strategy. Considering that we have covered the central aspect of SEO copywriting, we should take a closer look into other elements, which ensure the desired results.
- Choose the title carefully– It is no surprise that the title is a fundamental part of the content. For a remarkably SEO-friendly post, you should try analyzing your post’s context and choose the right keywords to create a corresponding title.
- Optimize your site for mobile –An estimate of around 57% of all internet traffic is coming from mobile devices. This data shows that your content should have a responsive design by making it mobile-friendly.
- Format the content – Creating a readable and scannable content is a must when it comes to SEO copywriting. For that purpose, you need to use appropriate headings, add many sub-titles or H2 tags, bullets, numbers, etc.
- Choose quality over quantity – Spamming your content with irrelevant keywords and links will only alert search engines that you’re content is of low quality and will rank it even lower. Incorporate all the SEO elements naturally and strategically and ALWAYS choose quality over quantity.
- Add calls to action – Power up your writing with effective calls-to-action which will ensure that your readers feel enticed to convert.
- * Use social buttons – This is also an important part because it sends social signals to search engines, increases brand exposure, and even your website’s traffic.
- Create informative and credible content – If you are motivated to create fantastic content that entertains, engages, and educates the reader, you’ll get a higher number of backlinks. That is why you need to be careful when you are doing your research, and you should also include credible data only and add links exclusively from reputable sources.
- Optimize images – Strategically-placed and adroitly-chosen images can also help you spread your message and help your readers to grasp your story visually. Moreover, you should always remember to give proper alt attributes to the images.
Now that the secret is out, it is entirely up to you whether you are ready to make the most of it and improve your SEO copywriting. As you can see, all you need is to invest time and effort and strategically approach the whole process in order to succeed.
It may seem easier to take a short cut, copy-paste some words and stuff the content with links and keywords but that will never produce results, and it has never proven to be a viable strategy. Without high-quality SEO content, your business will never get the attention it deserves, so it is time to roll up the sleeves and get your page in the top search results.
SEO is commonly known to be a “dark science,” because it revolves around many mysteries. At the end of the day, even Google admitted that they no longer understand RankBrain entirely, the algorithm responsible for website ranking.
In this article, we’ve shared the tips that we know have worked for us. What are your secret SEO weapons?